Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:42:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
To:        Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@brabys.co.za>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for compatible server ?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Nelis Lamprecht wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm looking to purchase a Dual Xeon with Raid support and I'm thinking
> either IBM, Compaq/HP. My problem is none of these vendors will
> guarantee that FreeBSD will be compatible with their systems and they
> are not prepared to give me a demo machine to test. So I am basically
> relying on hopefully some good solid advice on a system that will work
> "out of the box" with FreeBSD.
Hi!

Well, I had some Compaq DL360 generation 1 and 2 running here with
FreeBSD 4.8, no big hassle, except that you got no OS tools for the RAID
(ciss(4)) to look on the shell for the status of the raid, but the BIOS
Setup tool for the raid is fairly ok and works.

gen3 are reported to have some issues with ACPI, therefore FreeBSD is
somewhat ... urks... but should make progress.

I also liked supermicro barebones, work perfectly well, also being used
in customer projects with customers paying more than 10.000 EUR/month...

Just my 0.02 EUR
Olaf

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,