Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 21:25:27 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com
Subject:   Re: Taylor UUCP and flow control

>[0]The correct setting is system dependent.  That's why everything in rc.serial
>[0]is commented out by default.  The setting of dtrwait is safe enough but
>[0]the setting of crtscts may cause problems if the modem doesn't assert CTS
>[0]except when there is carrier.

>That reminds me.  Taylor UUCP 1.04 and 1.05 both deliberatly disable
>hardware flow control (-crtscts) when it is running.   You have to change
>the UUCP source (as far as I know) to get hardware flow control to remain
>on.  This happens for incoming and outgoing UUCP sessions.

I think uucp has an option to set crtscts.  It certainly has some ifdefs
involving it.

The lock bits in ttyid* are meant for handling this problem in
applications that don't support crtscts properly.  You can set the
crtscts bits in ttyid* to lock the initial value of crtscts and the
crtscts bits in ttyld* to set the initial value to on.  This is done in
the modem() example in /etc/rc.serial.

The problems occur when you set or lock crtscts for a device that
doesn't support it, e.g., if crtscts is locked on on a mouse port, then
X will hang forever waiting for CTS.

Bruce