Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 16:14:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        Studded@dal.net (Studded)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD ignorants

Doug White wrote:
> [moving to -chat]
>
> Sue Blake wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Doug White wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see this happening anytime soon, with the number of large sites
> > > depending on FreeBSD for their livelihood.
> >
> > I used to run OS/2, and heard this frequently there too.
> > "Not soon" always comes around sooner than we expect.
>
> 	Actually the business end of OS/2 isn't going anywhere. Almost all
> ATM's run on it, as do most POS systems (those scanner/cash register
> doomahackers).  There's lots of other business/server applications that
> OS/2 excels at, and is placed in the top of various niches. It's the
> desktop market that IBM is abandoning. In fact y'all can blame IBM, and
> especially their complete lack of interest/ability to support win32
> stuff for inflicting me on you with increasing frequency. :)

Actually, it's the problems with Microsoft changing Win32 daily that made them
give up.  My problem is there's no almost no scanner support for OS/2 which
made me look to Win95/Win3.1 to get something running at my last job (at IBM).

> I'm actually staying booted in FreeBSD for days at a time now, with only a
> couple OS/2 and windows apps forcing me to reboot, and that becomes less
> frequent as I learn new Unix/X tools. Of course there are a lot of good
> things about running FreeBSD too, and I'm enjoying the learning
> experience.

That's the fun of it.  I went from Vax/Vms to Unix, to Windows/DOS, to
VM and OS/2 (at IBM) and to Win95 and NT now as well as Unix.
I've got Win3.1, Win95, OS/2 Warp 4, and FreeBSD running at home on
the net.

> Working for a microsoft-os-free world,

Would be nice, eh?
I'm still fighting to keep my Unix mail support alive. (Exchange -- ugh)

> Doug (Hey, I can dream can't I? :)

Bill

| Bill/Carolyn Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive | Tinton Falls, New Jersey 07724 |
| 908-389-3592 |  Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.    |
| pechter@shell.monmouth.com                                                |
| This message brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.         |