Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:10:24 -0400
From:      bsdfsse <bsdfsse@optonline.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are there step-by-step VMWare instructions?

I am beginning to try and run the vmware3 port on FreeBSD-5.3beta6.

First I "upgraded" the machine to 5.3-Stable by putting "RELENG_5" in my
stable-supfile.

Next I went in to /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3 and ran:
   make
   make install

I rebooted and ran "vmware &" in a command window, and then entered my
Linux licsense serial number.

One of the first things it asked me, was what network device to bind to
"vmmonet" (I think), so I entered "fxp0" - which now I wonder if it
should have been "/dev/fxp0".

After completing the install, I rebooted so it would run its start script.

Next I used the wizard to make Win2000 Professional system, and copied
the Win2000 Pro ISO over to this machine. I configured the vm's cdrom to
be the Win2000 ISO file, so I could install it.

When the VM machine boot, it couldn't find the mouse, so I selected (I
think) "/dev/mouse" and that error went away.  Them it would not go past
  this error:

    Cannot attach shared memory segment: Invalid argument.
    Failed to initialize SVGA device.

I looked up on Google and found this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2004-August/000526.html

"ake sure that you have sysctl
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed set to 1"

So I made the change he suggested, rebooted, and it did get past that error.

When it came up, it complained about not being able to bind vmnet, then
the machine locked up solid.

Now I made a new virtual machine, and tried to install without
networking inside the vm, and it the machine 99% locked (the mouse
sometimes moves).

I can't shell in using putty.exe either.

It would really be nice if there was some step-by-step instructions, it
would make it easier for people to switch to FreeBSD (like I'm doing). I
am trying to document things as I go along, so if such doucments do not
exist, mine can be used by the next guy.

The above link I found is an example of the knowledge being spread
around, maybe we can collect it in to one spot?

I can post more detailed errors if this document does not exist, I
thought I would ask first in case it did.

thx!