Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:40:13 -0500
From:      "Michael G. Jung" <mikej@confluenttech.com>
To:        <lister@primetime.com>, <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   ng_fec and cisco 2931

Sorry, not subscribed but here go's....

To quote cisco

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0=
080094646.shtml

"EtherChannel load balancing can use either MAC addresses or IP =
addresses. Also, EtherChannel load balancing can use either source or =
destination, or both source and destination, addresses. The mode that =
you select applies to all EtherChannels that you have configured on the =
switch."

On older switches that I deployed this on, say the 5000 seriers which =
was based on MAC address only, on a Nx100 channel between two hosts =
throughput could never exceed "N".  So 4x100Mbit links between two hosts =
would never exceed 100Mbit but multiple connections across the =
connection would aggregate.=20

In other words etherchannel does not load balance per packet across =
bonded ethernet connections but per connection.  Try running tests to =
multiple hosts from your FreeBSD box and see if you don't aggregate =
above 100Mbit total....

Hope this is helpful.

I'd be very curious to know if you find this is your issue.

Kind regards,

--mikej
Michael Jung