Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:01:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 4.3-RELEASE compiler

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

>     I've left a trimmed down copy of the problem files at
> ftp://ftp.jonny.eng.br/hidden/jonny/trouble.tgz, compile it with
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall teste.c rfc1035.c, and see the bug happening.  Remove
> the -O2 or change it for -O, and see it going away.
>
>     Should this be a reason to roll back the compiler to version
> 2.95.2, as it was before Tue Apr 10 19:23:19 2001 UTC, when it
> changed to 2.95.3?  What to do with the upcoming CDs?

So, did you try installing  2.95.2, and seeing if the bug is present in
that version as well?  I see no reason to rollback to a previous version,
as the optimization level -O works OK, and this optimization level is the
only level that is supported.  All other optimization levels are use
at your own risk.  There are many numerous optimization bugs in gcc.  With
XFree86 4.0.99.3, for example, I got pthread errors unless I dropped the
optimization level from -O3 to -O2.