Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:16:42 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@mi.uni-koeln.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How stable is soft updates?

On 1999-04-08 09:54 -0400, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 jfesler@gigo.com wrote:
> >  3: How do we tunefs "/" ?
>
> Even with the above confidence, I would never tune my root partition to
> have softupdates.
>
> That 'no-no' buzzer goes on in the back of my head whenever I think about
> doing that.

Just a warning to people who still think they might
want to mount "/" with soft updates enabled:

Be sure to have PLENTY of free space in your root
partition, if you are ever going to "make world".

You'll need at least 16MB free in order to install
the binaries in /bin and /sbin (and the system will
be unhappy without them ;-)

Soft updates causes the files that are replaced to
keep their disk blocks, until all the meta information
on disk points to the new versions, and the install
command seems to further double this by creating
temporary files ...

Regards, STefan