Date:      Sun, 4 Sep 2022 13:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 12.2 can not be upgraded

There was a long thread on this. My observations and questions are more
about how to update production systems. My long standing update path is to
update my FreeBSD workstations. If that goes okay we some servers on out
LAN that we update next.

I ran `freebsd-update -r 12.3-RELEASE upgrade` which converted my laptop
essentially into a paperweight by the introduction a bad copy of
ld-elf.so.1. The system would boot, but most useful commands (think cp)
exited with an error. This is all documented via google with no successful
work arounds that I could fine. What you can not do is `freebsd-update
rollback`. I though I could maybe fix this by going to single user and
overwriting ld-elf.so.1. This can not be done as all commands depend on
this file.

I created image files from:

   FreeBSD-12.3-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso (4+GB)
   FreeBSD-12.3-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img ~1GB

Neither of these images are self contained. Both install 12.3 correctly but
by downloading the OS from a mirror site of your choosing. Is there a path
thought the dvd1 install that does something with the extra 3GB of data?
Does the dvd1.iso image have to be burned to a DVD?

My am not sure what is the philosophy of deleting the supporting files so
quickly. Other than making a system from backup is there a way to install
an older version?

And lastly does 12.2 --> 13.x work?

If intent if all this is to protect me from myself, what protects me from
the developers? There is certainly no Joy in this.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com