Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:36:40 -0800
From:      Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>, Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Subject:   Re: NO_TLS flag for public headers

On 2012-02-10, at 2:57 AM, Ed Schouten wrote:

> Hi Marius,
>=20
> * Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>, 20120208 22:51:
>> See lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c, arm and mips currently are the only
>> supported FreeBSD architectures that have no support for TLS.
>=20
> Just out of curiosity, what is needed to make TLS work? Is it just the
> lack of support by our toolchain or is there also stuff on our side =
that
> needs to be done?

There are several places that should be fixed and in sync in order to =
get TLS=20
working for architecture: rtld-elf, libthr, cpu_set_user_tls in kernel =
and
thread pointer handling in toolchain. Look at my commits as of Feb 9 - =
they cover
all of these but toolchain part.

TLS on MIPS is fixed for the simplest test case. TLS data in dynamic =
library=20
might need some more work for rtld, but not much. I'll take a look at =
ARM when I have=20
working root over NFS on my ARM board. That is if nobody step up and fix =
it soon :)=20=