Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:24:15 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
To:        Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printer problem

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:20:38AM -0800, Joe Park wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As one of processes of moving from Window to FreeBSD, I started to work on
> printer now.  I have Panasonic KX-P6500 laser printer and on first try of
> "lptest > /dev/lpt0", it printed one line of ASCII chracters on first page
> and two blank page.

Yup. That's what I expect. You've got a staircasing effect, as your
printer does not automatically translate a '\n' to '\r\n'.

>And I thought, "hmm, that's odd.  Let me try to set up
> printcap and see what happen."  So I edited printcap like this :
>
> ##########################
> lp|panasonic|local Panasonic KX-P6500:\
>          :sh:\
>          :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>          :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:
> ##########################
>
> And "lptest > /dev/lpt0" gives me 3 blank pages.

Changing the printcap file does *NOT* affect lptest, as lptest is
printing directly to the device. ie it doesn't look at /etc/printcap
at all.

>I tried spooler but all
> jobs sit at the queue.  I tried polled mode with "lptcontrol -p" but
> nothing changed.

Have you got the lpd(8) daemon running? What's the output of `lpq -a'
like?

[...]

Jonathan Chen