Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 22:59:39 +0200
From:      Olivier Gautherot <olivier@gautherot.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] koffice build failure

Hi Doug,

> > It's not only QT: the ports system is a bit sensitive and if you recompile
> > a library, you should actually recompile all the apps that depend on it.
>
> In my experience this is sometimes, but not always necessary. One of the key
> benefits of shared libraries is that you usually don't have to recompile the
> binaries. For example, on my desktop, with 166 ports installed, the only
> library that I need to reinstall its dependencies is gnutls.

I've also done several portupgrade -a that succeded but, several times,
application started breaking (and it is difficult to tell in advance
when this happens). The first times, I reinstalled the complete system
(fairly unhappy about it) but, last time, I went through the exercise
of recompiling all dependencies that were (from a compilation date point
of view, not version) out of date and it worked.

When you have 166 ports installed, it's OK. When you have in the order of
800+, it is more painful...

Cheers

--
"If there is no solution, there is no problem"
           Shadok proverb