Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:44:24 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR810/Barracuda Question

On Oct 19,  8:19, Joe Greco wrote:
} Subject: NCR810/Barracuda Question
} Hi,
}
} Anybody tried the following combination?
}
} FreeBSD 2.0.5R, ASUS Pentium MB + NCR 810 (ASUS) controllers, Seagate
} Barracuda ST15150N 4GB SCSI disk..  (two controllers, each with a 12550 2GB
} drive and a Micropolis 4GB drive of some sort currently, which are being
} replaced with the Barracuda 4GB drive because they're flakey).
}
} The current setup with the Micropolis works fine.
}
} When I hook up the Barras, I get
}
} sd3: error reading primary partition table reading fsbn 0 (sd3 bn 0 cn 0 tn
} 0 s
} assertion "cp == np->header.cp" failed: file ../../pci/ncr.c line 5235
} assertion "cp" failed: file ../../pci/ncr.c line 5236
} ncr1: targ 2? ERROR(80:100) (e-ab-2) (8/13)@(10d4:e000000)
                         ^^^
                         handshake timeout

} reg: da 10 0 13 47 8 2 1f 0 e 82 ab 80 0 3 0

} Pardon any liberties I inadvertently took, it was rapidly scribbled :-)
}
} After Round 1 went like this, I went and laid down a DOS partition table
} which appeared to work fine and let me format c:, and then tried again, same
} results.  The driver assertion errors worried me however...
}
} Anybody able to toss me a suggestion or two?

Well, my guess is, that there is either some incompatibility between
the version of the NCR driver in 2.0.5R and the Barracuda, or your
SCSI cable is not up to the job and the Barracuda is more sensitive
to that kind of problem ...

Are you sure that there are excactly two terminators (i.e. is there
possibly one on the Barracuda) ?

The driver in the latest SNAP contains improvements that should make
it more robust in such situations. You may want to try booting from the
latest SNAP boot floppy and see whether that improves the situation.

Send mail, if you can't get it to work.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160