Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:41:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        olli@lurza.secnetix.de
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with rl network card

> I see.  I thought the drivers would check the vendor ID
> and chip ID first, and not do anything with the card if
> they don't match.

Most drivers do.  However, since devices supported by the rl and re
drivers have the same vendor/product, but differ in the id presented
to the system in the BAR addressed registers, they do special things.

>  > > However, it seems that the driver cannot alloacte the PCI
>  > > resources correctly.
>  >
>  > This likely means that this card isn't a realtek interface.
>
> According to the PCI IDs (0x81391904) it's a realtek 8139
> card, or a clone thereof:
>
> http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=1904
>
> But then again, I've never heard about that vendor, so
> it might be something alltogether anyway.  :-)

My digging shows that there's a Linux driver that is separate from the
realtek driver.  No clue WHY this might be, but it definitely is the
case.  Further digging is possible, see my other message for details
on where to find the Linux driver.

Warner