Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 20:45:51 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot troubles in 3.1

Hi!

I have tried to install 3.1 on two machines but on both of
them I was not able to boot it after installation. The
3.0-snapshot from May-98 worked fine on both of them.
But 3.1 did not boot. First, the MBR boot manager was not able to
boot any partition, nor FreeBSD nor UnixWare. After I replaced
it with boot manager from 3.0 it worked but then some later
stage of the boot was not able to find the kernel. Both
machines have Phoenix BIOS (one is Intel, another Unisys).
One has IDE disk, another has SCSI. I'm about to look at
the problem but want to make sure first that it's not a known
bug that was fixed long ago (sorry, I have not tracked
-hackers for about half a year). Any information will be
appreciated.

-SB