Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:30:05 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>, Randy Terbush <randy@terbush.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Installing SQL Server on Windows 2012 bhyve guests

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-virtua=
lization@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Peter Grehan
Sent: 25 October 2016 19:19
To: Randy Terbush
Cc: freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org

>Hi Randy,

> I've followed the info provided here=20
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows
> to create a Windows Server 2012 image that I successfully installed on=20
> the bhyve hypervisor. After getting a working Win2012 image running,=20
> applying updates, etc. I attempted to install SQL Server 2014. In the=20
> late stages of that install, the process attempts to start the SQL server=
 engine and fails.

>  There have been some reports of this previously. What might be happening=
 is that SQL Server has stricter requirements on the underlying block >size=
 than NTFS itself has.

 > Since you are using a file-backed image, the reported block size from th=
e emulated storage controller may be 8KB or even higher, depending on >the =
underlying filesystem type.

>  A suggestion is to force the block size to 4KB (has to be done during in=
stall as well), and if the problem persists, try 512 bytes. This is done by=
 using >the 'sectorsize=3D<bsz>' parameter to the disk configuration e.g.

>  -s 4,ahci-hd,/path/to/disk.img,sectorsize=3D4096

Just to add, if you're using vm-bhyve you should be able to add this with t=
he diskX_opts template/config option

disk0_opts=3D"sectorsize=3D4096"

I may adjust the sample templates to include a sectorsize option for Window=
s guests, although I'm not 100% clear on what exact OS versions or applicat=
ions require specific settings. I do know that SQL Server has been reported=
 to suddenly fall over unless a valid block size is used (although I believ=
e it did install and run), but again I'm not sure exactly what the "correct=
" settings are.

Also note that you shouldn't need any grub_* template options if you're usi=
ng UEFI. Those options only apply to grub-bhyve.

Matt