Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 01:20:34 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580 (310) <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUS PnP driver release 4

>From The Desk Of Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580 :
> On Tue, 08 Oct 1996 05:37:00 -0700,
>    Amancio Hasty <hasty@RAH.STAR-GATE.COM> said:
> >
> > 2.0	I will release another version of vat in about a day or so
> > 	after I get chance to test it further.
>
> More testing with vat4.0b1a and guspnp4. Switching audio among
> active vats doesn't work. When you switch focus to an alternate
> vat it fails to grab the audio device and you end up with repeated
> diagnostic messages
>
>             failed to set non-block mode for /dev/audio 9

That message gets generated when vat fails to open /dev/audio.

The bit about switching focus and grabbing a device has to be co-ordinated
between the different vat sessions . My guess is that local ip multicast
loopback for the conference bus is disabled and that is very easy
to check to see if vat is getting any messages on the configuration bus.

> Later today, when tuned to Stanford's TV Channel on the MBONE, I
> actually got vat to freeze. The UV meter froze and none of Vat's
> buttoms would respond. The audio kept repeating forever the last few
> seconds of audio, in this case the phrase "frankly Stanford can have
> a bigger lead on this one". I don't think this was a loop on the audio

I think I know what happen and I have to make one for fix to alleviate
this problem.

> device but rather on Vat's Controller::audio... either it is stuck
> in a write loop or on a loop getting read acknowledges that trigger
> the repeated writes.

The driver never gets stuck in a read loop however the audio
write can get stuck on a loop and it has to deal with
a register which I miskakenly set on the last version of
the sound driver.

> Earlier, I received today's Berkeley Multimedia Seminar by and large
> ok, there were problems with the MBONE that I think masked the other
> problems that I kept seeing with the sound driver, ie., background
> static/distortion.

I am working on alleviating the slight distortion that you are hearing
and it has to deal with starting and stopping the gus pnp every
time that we send an audio packet to the card. The problem is
easily alleviated by sending larger buffers to the card however
it is a bit tricky because I do want to read 160 bytes at 8khz to
maintain a 20ms timing for vat.

	Cheers,
	Amancio