Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:41:22 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ncr: frequent ccb errors and crashes

Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> wrote:

> > this problem is known incompatability between Quantum drives and Sym.Logic
> > controllers ? I think so, because with Adaptec controller all this just
> > works.
>
> That could be the reason. The only thing I can say is that I've been using
> wto ASUS adapters in my machine for years (one SC-875 and one SC-200)
> without a single problem...
>
> ncr0: <ncr 53c875 fast20 wide scsi> rev 0x03 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0
> scbus0 at ncr0 bus 0
> sd0 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0
> sd0: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd0: Direct-Access
> sd0: WIDE SCSI (16 bit) enabled
> sd0: 40.0 MB/s (50 ns, offset 15)
> 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors)

***

Yeah, nice to see that you have IBM disks, but these are truly overpriced
here, Quantum costs about half of the IBM disks. Do you suggest replacing
controller or what I can do to test that specific controller. Maybe I'm
having a faulty controller, that is.
BTW, this specific NCR based controller was buy'd for hope it makes good
compatability and smooth operation. Well, when it makes so big problems
how about some comment in the online documentation ? If it _is_ the real
problem..

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee