Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2022 07:20:40 +0200
From:      FreeBSD User <freebsd@walstatt-de.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mpd5: Howto restart a connection from mpd5-console?

Hello,

On recent FreeBSD 13-STABLE (FreeBSD 13.1-STABLE #129 n252824-84b4709f38f: Sat Oct 22 11:45:10
CEST 2022 amd64), restarting mpd5 with an active PPPOE connection crashes FreeBSD.

We run a small home brewn FreeBSD based routing and firewalling instance based upon a
PCengines APU2C4. Since our ISP is very rigid by resetting the line exactly after 24 hours, we
prevent being reset in the middle of the day-to-day work by restarting the connection at
night. So far, that worked now for a couple of years - until recently, the cause is unknown,
possibly a bug in FBSD and/or mpd5.

mpd5 is built on a local poudriere utilizing FreeBSD 13-STABLE as well, last try was to have
mpd5 compiled with the same base of the OS as the router/firewall will run.

Now I try to find a way how to restart gracefully via mpd5 console (script) the connection
without restarting mpd5 and therefore not crashing the underlying system.

Any tips?

Thansk in advance,

O. Hartmann

--