Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 12:11:57 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-970124-SNAP: man page search order

As Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Well, somebody find out what it takes to fix the search order and
> that end of that story.

That's not difficult.  It's in src/gnu/usr.bin/man/lib/config.h_dist:

  static char *std_sections[] =
    {
       "1", "n", "l", "6", "8", "2", "3", "4", "5", "7", "9", "p", "o", NULL
    };

(It can be overridden by a MANSEC variable, btw.)

Now comes the difficult part: what's the best order?

  static char *std_sections[] =
    {
       "1", "8", "2", "3", "n", "4", "5", "6", "7", "9", "l", NULL
    };

???

> >  I never got it right why Tcl
> >installs its man pages into the inofficial section `n' in the manual
> >at all
>
> Well maybe it should be called .t instead then ?

I don't mind this idea.

> >(I wonder what people would say if we now also came up with another
> >set of man pages for already used names, for everything inside of
> >Perl. :-)
>
> I think that would be a good idea.

Hmm, if there's something i don't like about Perl, it's its man page/
standard documentation.  Ideally, i'd love a short man page, and some
longer HTML ref.  The same would probably hold for Tcl as well.  Look,
the C compiler man page doesn't describe the entire C language
either...

--
cheers, J"org