Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 04:49:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr, dwcjr@inethouston.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA errors on recent -current

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On 14 Apr, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Is your drive perchance an IBM DTLA?
> >
> > It's known to have these problems.
>
> Does this also apply to other IBM drives?

Potentially.  IBM renamed the part number when the drives got
known to be dogs.  I thought they also defaulted the firmware
to get around the problem.

You would have to check the full threads complaining about the
DTLA parts to be certain; I didn't follow the problem closely
enough except to recommend using the outer cylinders only for
the FS and OS data for an embedded system I worked on at one
time (no, not the InterJet).

-- Terry