Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:44:51 +0100
From:      Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Ken Smith <kensmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: please add auditdistd user/group to -stable and the 9.1-release?

On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 09:52:18PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2012, at 12:46 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> >>    I've done some digging in the source tree and this seems like a
> >> potentially workable solution for the issue reported -- in part
> >> because auditdistd is only present in BSD.var.dist, /etc/rc.d/var runs
> >> BSD.var.dist at boot, etc:
>
> A more robust -- and possibly simpler -- solution might be to
> include the uid/gid in the mtree file as well and provide a
> way for mtree to fall back to using that if the uname/gname can't
> be looked up.

I disagree. We can have more tools requiring uid/gid pairs (install?).
Having this information in more than one place may lead to mismatches.

I think libc should export functions that would operate on arbitrary
passwd files. Then we can teach tools to use them as needed.

> This will probably require adding some switches to choose the
> appropriate behavior from among the following:
>
>  * If both are specified, prefer the name.  This is what tar always does:
> tries to use the name and falls back to using the number if the name
> isn't available.
>
>  * If both are specified, prefer the number.  This would be helpful if
> you were running mtree in a cross-build situation where the host
> system has radically different user/group numbering (Robert
> mentioned someday cross-building from non-FreeBSD hosts).
>
>  * Require both to match.  This would complain if the name/number in
> the mtree file didn't both exactly match the current host.  This
> would be the useful behavior when using mtree files to verify
> files on disk.  This is likely the most appropriate default
> behavior.

I agree, except s/number/name from in-tree passwd file/ . :)

--
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>