Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:41:39 -0600
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        Jeroen van der Ham <jeroen@dckd.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading XENHVM 9.0 to 9.1

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:48:29 -0600, Jeroen van der Ham <jeroen@dckd.nl>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I started with an upgrade process of my VPS which has been running
> 9.0 XENHVM almost a full year. I followed the process as outlined on the
> Handbook[1]. I may have made a mistake in placing back the right old
> kernel, but a new GENERIC kernel did not get installed.
>
> I was able to boot into the 9.1 system using my old 9.0 XENHVM kernel. I
> have been trying to fix this, but I keep running into problems:
>
> - I manually downloaded and extracted the 9.1 GENERIC kernel. Booting
> from that results in a rootmount mismatch (ada0 vs ad0). Just renaming
> it in /etc/fstab does not seem to be enough, what else would I need to
> do?

Yes, the GENERIC kernel uses adaX and the XENHVM kernel uses adX. It
shouldn't be a problem to just change it in the fstab though. I've not yet
had problems running 9.1 with XENHVM yet.

> - I manually built a new 9.1 XENHVM kernel. Booting from that results in
> the message: "pudna: fpcurthread == curthread xx times" scrolling by.
> What can I do to fix that?

I've not seen this message yet either. Can you provide more details of the
Xen environment you're hosted on?

> Is there a problem in continuing to run the 9.0 XENHVM kernel with the
> 9.1 system?

This would not be advised. It *may* work, but be warned that you may run
into strange issues.