Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 14:32:34 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: networking design (was: 127/8 continued

Gary W. Swearingen writes:
 > Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com> writes:
 > > Solaris lets you set the POINTTOPOINT flag on ethernet links via ifconfig.

Just because Slowlaris lets you set a flag does not make it right or
even make it work the way that you think.

 > Which brings up another usability issue:  FreeBSD's "ifconfig",
 > which doesn't let you set the flag, doesn't complain when you try:
 >
 > $ ifconfig de0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2; echo $?
 > 0
 > $ ifconfig de0
 > de0: flags=8c43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

So what?  Again, you are using a multipoint network in an inappropriate
manner.  Fundamentally, Ethernet is not point-to-point.  Attempting to
use it in a point-to-point manner, no matter whether or not you "think"
that it should theoretically should be usable in such a manner, is
irrelevant.  Physically, it is not a point-to-point network.

If you want point-to-point, set up X.25 links between the various points
and run your network that way (aka, "ATM").  The physical network
(Ethernet, aka, 802.*) is set up as a multipoint, broadcast network.
Trying to pervert it into something else through misuse of software is
not going to change the nature of the network.

This is not a "usability" issue, it is an issue of your misunderstanding
of networking design.  I suggest that you attempt to explain the
rationale behind your current network design to everyone once again and
maybe we can all help you to a better understanding of how to accomplish
your goals.

/Joe