Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:21:00 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us
Subject:   DOH! Something PCI-related recently broken in -STABLE

On Wed Aug 15, 2001  5:52 pm, Chris Dillon wrote:
> Something in -STABLE within the last 18 days or so (I think that was
> when I updated the kernel last) has caused only the first PCI bus to
> be probed in my Compaq Proliant ML530, or at least thats what it looks
> like when I try to boot the kernel.  This is with a very recent
> kernel, as of about an hour ago.  I thought it might have been the
> addition of PCI interrupt routing support, so I reverted sys/pci/pci.c
> to 1.141.2.7 and sys/pci/pcisupport.c to 1.154.2.6 to see if that
> would solve the problem, but it doesn't.
>
> I looked through the cvs-all archives and browsed through cvs logs to
> try and find something else that may have changed recently that could
> cause this, but nothing caught my eye.  Anybody know of any
> PCI-related changes within the past three weeks or so that I should
> revert to try and narrow down the problem?

Yes. Compaq have this really crack-smoking idea about how the pcibios
is supposed to work.  In a fit of brilliance, some rocket scientist
decided they need filter out all the host->pci bridge entries.

This hoses *all* the larger compaq DL and ML series, eg: DL360, DL380 etc.

The DL320 appears fine though.  Current will not work either, unless you
use ACPICA to get the correct PCI routing.

We have argued with the compaq bios folks before.  Do you have a support
contract by any chance?  I can give you explicit details if you wish.

Cheers,
-Peter