Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:24:26 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Moving OS to a new disk

I have a system (2.2.8S/CAM) in which the primary hard drive has become
flaky (it powers itself down periodically). This drive contains all the
OS.

I have a second identical drive, and my thought to ease replacement is to
install the second drive as da1 (SCSI ID 1; the existing drive is da0/ID
0), partition it identically, and transfer everything from the old drive.
I'd then remove the old drive, and jumper the new drive as SCSI ID 0 and
have it appear as da0.

Do I need to change the disklabel on the new drive or do anything else in
changing the SCSI ID - that is, is the device name embedded in the label,
etc.?

What is the best way to make a literal copy of the old drive on the new?
I've found that tar doesn't copy all the device nodes properly (it says
"minor number too large; not dumped" for many devices). I'm assuming I
would temporarily mount the new drive as say /new and so the root
filesystem would have to be transferred to /new , etc.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna