Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:20:17 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Seamus Phan" <seamus@mcgallen.com>
Subject:   Re: Can freeBSD work on PC notebooks?

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:55:33 +0800, Seamus Phan wrote:

>I'd like to learn more about freeBSD. I have Pentium 75 MHz and 486 PC notebooks
>that are lying around. Thought I can run freeBSD on them. Any chance they will
>work? Pls kindly advise. Your advice is much appreciated.

Sure, there's a chance, but we have no way of determining how great
that chance is 8o)

Just download a boot floppy and boot it (see www.freebsd.org).  The
boot floppy has a GENERIC kernel that will probe for many devices, and
if it finds the devices you have, you're in good shape.  If you have no
experience with freebsd, please, please, please buy "The Complete
FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey.  It contains valuable info and will answer
questions that will anger the people on this list.  After all, they
read man pages, FAQs, and the handbook available at www.freebsd.org, so
why shouldn't you 8o)

And if the stuff you read doesn't make sense even after you've read it
a few times, and tried a few things, drop us a note here and we'll be
glad to help anyone who has put forth an effort to learn...