Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:10:24 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Andrew Nelson" <andrew__nelson@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pop3/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

From: "Andrew Nelson" <andrew__nelson@hotmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> I've had this problem start occuring
> recently and now it's happening some
> 10 times per day.
>
> The entry in the message log is:
> inetd[91]: pop3/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated
>
> I looked up the error and found a source
> which suggested we increase the number
> of allowed connections per minute in inetd,
> but it doesn't make a difference (I have
> nowait.2000 now!)

Acording to the "inetd" man page:

     The maximum number of outstanding child processes (or ``threads'') for
     ``nowait'' service may be explicitly specified by appending a ``/''
fol-
     lowed by the number to the ``nowait'' keyword.  Normally (or if a value
     of zero is specified) there is no maximum.  Otherwise, once the maximum
     is reached, further connection attempts will be queued up until an
exist-
     ing child process exits.

So the problem is you need to use:

        nowait/2000