Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 09:51:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        gcrutchr@nightflight.com (Gary Crutcher)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

As Gary Crutcher wrote:

> I just installed a 2nd SCSI drive. A 2.1GB conner.
> Having read many of the newsgroups info about adding a second drive and
> reading amilfrom this listserv, I have partitioned the drive, labeled it,
> but cannot get the newfs command to work correectly - I get 'not a block
> device' error.

Hmm, you should better fully quote the message you've got.

Newfs doesn't even want to operate on the block device, and it warns
you if you are trying this:

newfs: /dev/fd0: not a character-special device

So: use newfs always on character-special devices.  You can
distinguish them from the block-device counterparts by the leading `r'
(for `raw').  In my above example, the corresponding character device
would be ``/dev/rfd0''.

At the opposite, _mounting a file system_ (once newfs was successful)
_requires_ the block device (and is almost the only operation that
should use block devices at all).  So i would have to mount:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

as opposed to:

uriah # /sbin/mount /dev/rfd0 /mnt
/dev/rfd0 on /mnt: Block device required

--
cheers, J"org