Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:17:08 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
Subject:   Re: kldxref problem

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 12:35:21AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 12:38:24PM +0200, Emiel Kollof wrote:
> > On Sun, 2002-03-31 at 09:51, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >

> > > Perhaps if the kernel printf also "ignored" the request to print
> > > the little S.O.B. out, there would be less confusion...
> >
> > I'm still sticking to the idea that one could test for kldxref, and if
> > it isn't there, don't execute it.
> >
> > [ -x /usr/sbin/kldxref ] && /usr/sbin/kldxref
> >
> > like so, which is perfectly sane bourne shell syntax, which is also used
> > by BSD make.
>
> Not really.  Use:
>
>     <target>: <deps>
>     <tab>rule1
>     <tab>rule2
>     .if exists(/usr/sbin/kldxref)
>     <tab>/usr/sbin/kldxref
>     .endif

This whole argument ignores what the real problem is. The really
correct way to handle this is to use the kldxref(8) built in the
'buildworld' phase. (It's bad form to be using any executables from
the base system if we have a full object tree.) Actually using the one
in /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/kldxref seems pretty ugly. The better
thing to do is to have a version in /usr/obj/usr/src/<arch>/usr/sbin
by making it a crosstool. The failure should not be ignored in this
case.