Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:57:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Strange Question

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 root@isis.dynip.com wrote:

> Ok, we all know that famous debate about who came first, the chicken or
> the egg, on a similar scale, now you compile any c program with a
> compiler, right , like cc, so as to say, cc compiler itself is a
> program, so how it was first compiled, something like MS debug under
> dos, or what. I mean the FIRST ever compiler generated, how it was
> compiled into an exceutable ?

O.K.  Well let me begin by saying "I don't know".  But you could just as
easily ask about other things, like, "If a steel mill has steel equipment
in it, where did the steel for the first steel mill come from?"

I do know that the first home PC had no keyboard or monitor, but had a
bunch of switches and lights on it.  You had to use the switches to put in
your program byte-by-byte, and if you screwed up, you had to start all
over.  These bytes I can only assume were in machine language - binaries.

So what probably happened was, some guy wrote a compiler in machine
language to compile the code of some slightly more sophisticated and
intelligable language, and then someone used that language to write a
compiler for yet another higher-level language, and so on, until one day
Dennis wrote a C compiler and C was born.  I don't know what language the
first C compiler was written in.  I sure hope it wasn't machine language,
though.

I guess the real meat in my answer is that the first compiler didn't need
to be compiled, because it was written in a binary form that the computer
could use without compilation or interpretation.

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering