Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2018 10:43:21 +0100
From:      Dirk Schroetter <dschroetter@gmail.com>
To:        Benedict Reuschling <bcr@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Options, devices, hints - Documentation work needed ?

Hello Benedict,

I was wondering if you already had a chance to look over the output I sent a=
 few days back and maybe already have a view on how to use that to the. Maxi=
mum benefit of the community.

Best Regards,

/Dirk

> Am 03.12.2018 um 18:57 schrieb Benedict Reuschling <bcr@FreeBSD.org>:
>=20
> Hello Dirk,
>=20
> I think this is definitely valueable in multiple ways:
>=20
> - finding missing entries in NOTES or lacking a man page (as you noted)
> - adding cross references and notes to existing man pages (when appropriat=
e)
> - checking if all these options are needed or are included implicitly
> during kernel builds
> - identifying outdated information or obsolete entries
>=20
> Cross references will help developers understanding how things are
> interconnected within the kernel and the source tree.
>=20
> I'm just wondering what kind of format would be appropriate for the
> table. It could be a big table on the FreeBSD wiki, but it could also be
> part of the developers handbook or a separate article. Can you send us
> an excerpt so that we can see how it looks like? It does not have to be
> fancy, just to get a feel for the information in it.
>=20
> I could help out from the doc side of things and we should definitely
> find someone from the kernel side to confirm that the findings make sense.=

>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> Cheers,
> Benedict
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> Am 03.12.18 um 17:52 schrieb Dirk Schroetter:
>> Hello there,
>>=20
>> I am just working on my kernel and its config and after trying to find a c=
omprehensive list of kernel options, I came up short.
>>=20
>> So I did fire up the editor and managed to get a python script running th=
at looks at:
>>=20
>> * The =E2=80=9Aoptions=E2=80=98 files under /usr/src
>> * The =E2=80=9ANOTES=E2=80=98 files
>> * The manual pages
>>=20
>> all this being dumped into a table and cross-referenced.
>>=20
>> My current stat on a FreeBSD 11.2 AMD64: Around 1000 kernel options of wh=
ich around half do not have either an entry in NOTES or are not mentioned on=
 a man page (e.g. ACPI_MAX_TAKS or ADA_TEST_FAILURE)
>>=20
>> So I was going to try to compile some form of documentation for all of th=
ese for my own personal use. Then I was wondering if the Documentation proje=
ct had any use for this kind of information. My idea was:
>>=20
>> 1. Try to get the information into the respective NOTES files.
>> 2. Make sure the options, devices, hints get into the option.h files
>> 3. Updating the man pages.
>>=20
>> It may be that this is a fool=E2=80=99s errand and much to big for a sing=
le person, but I would volunteer to at least get it started, if you folks th=
ink that there is any merit to it.