Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 17:14:05 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl status right now, and plea for testing.

<<On Wed, 6 Dec 1995 20:25:55 +0100, se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser) said:

> Thanks a LOT !

> I've been waiting for this, since I want to make the PCI bus
> and NCR SCSI configuration available via sysctl ...

devconf has been there as the intended mechanism for this purpose for
over a year now.

> hw.bus.pci.bus_0.slot_5.func_0.vendor_id: 0x8086
> hw.bus.pci.bus_0.slot_5.func_0.device_id: 0x0483
> hw.bus.pci.bus_0.slot_5.func_0.map.mem32: 0x80fff000 0x00001000
> hw.bus.pci.bus_0.slot_5.func_0.map.io:    0xd0f0 0x0010

Ick.  Try more like:

	hw.devconf.pci0.cardids: 0x80860483 0x12345678 ....

where the actual representation is an array (no need for a separate
count since we know the size) or, perhaps, a string (for easy parsing
by shell programs).

> Don't know which names to use for the NCR SCSI variables.

	hw.devconf.ncr0.whatever

Unfortunately, in my original implementation of devconf, I made it
rather difficult to implement this.  I intend to revisit the design of
devconf soon, so that every device will export at least two variables,
and in most cases probably more:

	hw.devconf.nameUNIT.self - structure giving current `struct
				   devconf' information
	hw.devconf.nameUNIT.parent - structure identifying parent and
				     device's relationship to it
				     (i.e., struct isa_device etc.)
	hw.devconf.nameUNIT.whatever_the_driver_wants_to_define

I believe that the second element, in particular, needs to be handled
as a structure because for many sorts of parent attachments, it does
not make any sense at all to separately modify the identity of the
parent or any of the parameters individually.  (E.g., you might break
things by changing a device's port without also changing its IRQ, in
the ISA case.)  The `self' information might be a structure (as I am
presently inclinde) or it might not; I am certain that it needs to be
segregated and in a well-defined location so that programs can easily
find it.

> There should be a way to look at synch. transfer rates, tags, ...
> of each controller, drive, LUN.

Generic SCSI features should be controlled by a generic SCSI
interface, probably one which uses the present style of scsi(8).

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.