Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:54:42 +0200
From:      Marcel Dijk <nascar24@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multimedia and browsers on freebsd

>I don't use a browser for it's "goodies", but to browse content. But I
>have gotten some of the stuff to work in Konqueror. Java is easy.
>Install java then point Konqueror to it. Audio works "out-of-the-box"
>in Konqueror for all *standard* formats. Quicktime won't work so don't
>try. Flash will work with Mozilla but not Konqueror, if you install the
>flashpluginwrapper. A future Konqueror should handle it as well
>according to some rumours. The plugger port will allow a few other
>things to work as well.
>
>Why don't these "goodies" work very well with FreeBSD (and Linux)?
>Because most of these "goodies" are proprietary non-standard protocols.
>In my opinion, life is too short to waste time on many of these. But
>things are changing. Software is still a very young industry. As with
>all young industries, standards are slow to arrive. Consider the early
>railroad industry, which had a bewildering variety of incompatible
>track gauges. Eventually they settled on a standard. Software will do
>the same, and IS doing the same, but it will take some time.

And I am using WindowMaker. For browsing I use Netsscape 7, a very nice
release I might say, albeit a touch slow. It can handle flash (out of
the box) and I think there is good java support too but I never tested that.

I watch multimedia streams with mplayer (ports). It can handle very much
kinds of streams and formats. Last time I used it was for the
Skynews.com stream (mplayer live.asx), works nice. It also has
realplayer and QT support. With a RPM on the site you can also get it as
a plugin in Netscape, but I also never tested that.

BTW Mozilla != Netscape 7, Netscape isn't that "commie oriented" and
works better.

OK, that where my 2 (euro) cents.

Gr.

Marcel.