Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 2020 10:58:49 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RPi4B and self-hosted buildworld buildkernel times: using more than -j3 is a waste in my tests.

On 2020-Aug-15, at 02:00, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 00:23:58 -0700
> Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> So: much less time required compared to the RPi4B at the
>> same clock rate. (The MACCHIATObin has a SATA SSD but
>> buildworld buildkernel is not I/O bound.)
>
> 	Still given the difference in price the Rpi4B doesn't come off too
> badly in the comparison.

Yep. The RPi4B is the fastest at buildworld buildkernel of the small
boards that I have (or had) access to, and not by a small amount.
The same goes for building ports via poudriere. I've set that up
on the RPi4B to allow 2 builders, each allowing 2 processes, so 1 to
4 processes generally active.

Still, having access to the likes of an OverDrive 1000 and
a MACCHIATObin Double Shot for use as builder machines is nice.
(I get them going in parallel.) I also build for armv7 on them.

> 	I keep thinking about the double shot for my next router, do you
> know how well it does PPPoE under FreeBSD (or anything else for that
> matter) ?

The built-in Ethernet is not supported. I just use a
USB3 Ethernet device. I'm using a Realtek USB3
10/100/1000 LAN device via using
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25809 in order to use
much of the Gbit bandwidth.

But I'm not using the MACCHIATObin as a router or for
PPPoE or anything like that, just for occasional
transfers of files between local machines and some
local ssh use into it.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com