Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 12:44:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Robledo R. Aloisio" <robledo@cultura.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network cards configuration files

Robledo R. Aloisio wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Please I am looking forward to find a document on FreeBSD
> configuration files. I need to know exactly how the system works. e.g.
> in which files do I specify my network cards and its irq=B4s and io=B4s ?
> I am going to be very gatefull if you send me where I can find this
> information.
>=20
> Thank you a lot.
> Robledo R. Aloisio
> Goiania GO Brasil
> robledo@cultura.com.br =20
>=20

Hi Robledo,

The settings you wish to set can be modified from the visual userconfig on
bootup.  When you reach the "Press [Enter] to boot immediately or ..."
prompt when starting your system, press any other key to reach a boot
prompt.  Type "boot -c", then "visual" to reach the visual userconfig. =20
The interface is a full screen configuration tool where you can find the
desired interface, and (if it is ISA) specify which IRQ, DMA, memory
address, etc.

Your settings will be saved and will be automatically applied on
subsequent boots.

That being said, there is a more "correct" and elegant way to specify
these settings.  You should build your OWN kernel (instead of changing
settings on the GENERIC kernel).  This option requires the kernel (system)
sources to be installed.  You may do so with /stand/sysinstall in the
distributions menu.  You must then copy /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC to
another file in the same directory (MYKERNEL seems to be a popular
example, but better names usually reflect the type or role of the system).

You must then find the line where your card is defined (again, must be
ISA), and change the default settings to those you wish to use by editing
the parameters on the line.  You must then configure, make depend, make,
and make install your new kernel.

I have been deliberately vague in the "how to" here, because you really
should read the handbook section on building your own custom kernel for
instructions:

=09http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

It is truly not that difficult.  After reading that section, let us know
if you have any further problems.

Virtually yours,
- Ryan

--=20
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts
  Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2