Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 02:13:30 +0200 (EET)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pine is being slow

On 2002-11-26 14:54, Steven Lake wrote:
> I've noticed lately that when doing mail or many other things in
> Pine as of late, it's been very slow.  This includes moving between
> screens, into and out of messages, marking and deleting messages,
> closing the program, etc.
>
> Not sure if this is related to my SSH sessions or not because I've
> noticed periodical lag with those too.  Just not to the degree I see
> in Pine.  The box is running 95-98% idle, so I know it's not maxed
> out or under load.  It's just so weird to see it act this way.
> Anyone ever encounter anything like this?  What can I do to fix
> this?  Much apreciated.  Thanks.

It's probably something unrelated to Pine.  I regularly use pine to
read a mailbox that contains more than 12,000 messages and tag, limit,
or view some of them.  It's not that the load is insignificant, but
even with the following:

last pid: 38479;  load averages:  1.99,  1.42,  1.03  up 0+02:59:24  02:08:40
54 processes:  3 running, 51 sleeping
CPU states: 36.2% user,  0.0% nice, 60.3% system,  3.5% interrupt,  0.0% idle
Mem: 52M Active, 347M Inact, 77M Wired, 22M Cache, 60M Buf, 992K Free
Swap: 1000M Total, 26M Used, 974M Free, 2% Inuse

It takes less than 20 seconds wall clock time for pine to open and
sort the huge mailbox.

I'm using pine-4.44 on FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT, btw.