Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:23:36 +0100
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck-lists@netcologne.de>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named.root

* Wes Peters (wes@softweyr.com):

> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > > From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> > >
> > > Incorrect root server addresses isn't a critical fix?
> > >
> > > One of the root servers moved recently.  Check the diff, it's a simple
> > > change.
> >
> > An incorrect root server address is of no real significance and the
> > file is only hints. As soon as a server finds a working address, it
> > gets the REAL list from the root. This is not something to put in the
> > RELENG_4_7 branch.
>
> Obviously and thankfully our DNS maintainer feels otherwise.

No one is kept from modifying his or her local copy of FreeBSD to suit
his resp. her needs. I do not think that Network Solutions will assign
198.41.0.10 tomorrow to $evil_person for $most_evil_purpose but YMMV.

BTW: The folks running other DNS resolver packages from ports are
probably more "at risk" here until the respective maintainers issue
patches or updated packages which deal with this recent change to the
root zone.

       --Thomas