Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:07:42 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Re: Moving OS to a new disk

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 11:24:26AM -0700, Graeme Tait wrote:
> I have a system (2.2.8S/CAM) in which the primary hard drive has become
> flaky (it powers itself down periodically). This drive contains all the
> OS.
>
> I have a second identical drive, and my thought to ease replacement is to
> install the second drive as da1 (SCSI ID 1; the existing drive is da0/ID
> 0), partition it identically, and transfer everything from the old drive.
> I'd then remove the old drive, and jumper the new drive as SCSI ID 0 and
> have it appear as da0.

perfect.

> Do I need to change the disklabel on the new drive or do anything else in
> changing the SCSI ID - that is, is the device name embedded in the label,
> etc.?

all you need to do after you've copied the filesystems is install the
boot blocks. you should use disklabel for that.

> What is the best way to make a literal copy of the old drive on the new?
> I've found that tar doesn't copy all the device nodes properly (it says
> "minor number too large; not dumped" for many devices). I'm assuming I
> would temporarily mount the new drive as say /new and so the root
> filesystem would have to be transferred to /new , etc.

tar is just the wrong tool for that. use dump(8) and restore(8).

here's what i would do:

1. configure the drive blah blah and make it appear as da1

2. use fdisk to partition the drive (check out the -f <file> option)

3. use disklabel to make the slices

4. newfs for all the new slices

5. mkidr /mnt/root /mnt/usr /mnt/var etc

6. (cd /mnt/root; dump 0f - / | restore rf -)
   (cd /mnt/usr; dump 0f - /usr | restore rf -)
   etc

7. umount all the stuff in /mnt

8. disklabel again to transfer the boot blocks (/boot/boot1 and /boot/boot2)

9. swap drives and reboot.

10. email the list again if it doesn't work (i might have missed a step :)

regards,

-Oscar