Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:35:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        drifter@stratos.nospam.net (Rob)
Cc:        mph@astro.caltech.edu, bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Dictionary

Rob wrote,
>      This might sound like a stupid question, but how is it possible
> to "copyright" a dictionary?  I(c) mean(c), they(c) don't(c) own(c)
> the(c) words(c), do they?
>      At the very least, it would seem that Webster's would be hard-
> pressed to prove that somebody "stole" their word list.

So I could make photocopies Websters and go sell them on the corner,
and you would see no problem with that? Greg Lehey's book on FreeBSD
must not be copyrighted because he does not own FreeBSD. Likewise and
book on history, science, etc., basically any work on non-fiction must
not be copyrighted.

Compilation of those words represents many man-years of
labor. Websters or any other entity has the right to protect that hard
work from plagiarism.

As for the last point, taking the moral highground, I see, "I know it
is wrong, but I cannot be caught, so it is OK." But wait, there is the
ol' urban legend that dictionaries put in bogus entries just to be
able to catch copyright infringments.