Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:56:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: keeping updated with FreeBSD (some help please)

On Wednesday, 23 December 1998 at 16:40:49 +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> [moved to -questions]
>
> Gustavo Vieira G C Rios <grios@netshell.vicosa.com.br> writes:
>> Can anyone do any comments about this supfile?
>> I am beginning with FreeBSD, so i just wanna update my 2.2.7 Release to
>> 3.0.0! All i need do is to update my /usr/src, right? and "make world"
>> right ?
>
> No, you need to convert from aout to Elf, so it's a little more
> complicated. In fact, it's complicated enough that I'd recommend doing
> a fresh install of 3.0 if that is at all possible for you.

You don't *have* to upgrade to elf.  I'm still running a.out on this
machine.  I'll change when the dust has settled on the changes to the
bootstraps.

>> my supfile is:
>> *default tag=RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE
>> *default hosts=cvsup.internat.FreeBSD.ORG
>> *default prefix=/usr
>> *defatul base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
>> *default release=cvs delete user-rel-suffix compress
>> src-all
>> doc-all
>> cvs-crypto
>
> I'd use:
>
> *default host=cvsup.internat.FreeBSD.org

Do you?  I don't believe this is a good idea.

> *default base=/usr prefix=/usr

I don't think it's a good idea to put the cvs housekeeping files in
/usr.  That's one of the things I pointed out in his last version, and
I think that /usr/local/etc/cvsup makes more sense.

> In any case, there's no reason not to go all the way and cvsup the
> most recent -current (it's pretty stable these days); if you want to
> do that, just change 'tag=RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE' to 'tag=.' (in that
> case you can remove the 'tag=.' on the doc-all and ports-all lines)

Yes, I forgot this in my last reply.  3.0-RELEASE was more a proof of
concept than a real release, and it's not what you'd want now.  If you
*do* get -CURRENT, of course, make sure to subscribe to the
FreeBSD-current mailing list; otherwise you have a number of superb
opportunities for shooting yourself in the foot.

Greg