Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:22:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        Virtual Bob <hey9811@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD STABLE discussion <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Install & Config discussion <freebsd-config@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adjkerntz ain't running'

> output -- xntpd and adjkerntz wasn't there. Figures. I used ntpdate to
> bring the clock up-to-date and reboot the server.

xntpd was probably crashed by an attempted (possibly successfull)
remote root exploit that xntpd is vulnerable to unless patched... search
the mailing list archive for details.

> Alright, what's wrong? I sure like to know under what conditions will
> adjkerntz fail to run? Should I even be concerned with adjkerntz?

adjkerntz only runs if your CMOS (hardware) clock is set to local time, it
is not needed if the CMOS clock is set to UTC.  'man adjkerntz' for
details.  If /etc/wall_cmos_clock exists, adjkerntz will run, otherwise it
will not.

 - Tim