Date:      18 Mar 2003 10:24:05 -0500
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+fbsdq@pelleg.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   getting device for umass?

I'm using a USB compact-flash card reader. When attached it is recognized,
and umass(4) creates a device for it. On a SCSI-less system it is da0 but
this is obviously not always true.

How can I systematically identify the disk it is attached as? As you might
guess, the point is to fire up a script from /etc/usbd.conf. However all I
get from usbd is umass0 for DEVNAME. I poked around camcontrol but it didn't
seem to give me enough information to come up with a robust script. Any
ideas?

--

  Dan Pelleg