Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 01:52:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        cwaiken@telerama.com
Subject:   OT: AOL's mail policy (Was: Sendmail / mutt errors)

Dan Nelson writes:
> In the last episode (Sep 05), Alan Clegg said:
> > Unless the network is lying to me again, Christopher W. Aiken said:
> > > How can I set up "sendmail" or "mutt" to avoid the following errors
> > > that I'm getting with FreeBSD 4.1?  I changed the email address to
> > > "protect the innocent".  :)
> >
> > > -|<<< 550-AOL no longer accepts connections from dynamically assigned
> > > -|<<< 550-IP addresses to our relay servers.  Please contact your ISP
> > > -|<<< 550 to have your mail redirected through your ISP's SMTP servers.
> > Send mail via YOUR provider (not directly) by setting the SMTP relay in
> > your sendmail.cf.
> The AOL message is very badly worded; there's nothing your ISP can do
> about it, although you might need to ask them what IP you should
> forward mail to, if you don't already know.  For information on telling
> sendmail (and other MTAs) about parent mail servers, see
> http://www.mail-abuse.org/dul/gateways.htm .

Gag. Retch. No - wait!

Why were you trying to talk to an AOL relay server? Do they route mail
to their users through relay servers, so that people who send mail
direct (personally, I do it because I use no fewer than five different
ISPs, and don't want to reconfigure my mail software to dial in behind
a different firewall) are *all* going to have to reconfigure their
mail servers?

	Bleah,
	<mike