Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:35:50 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new package fetching utility, pkg_get

On Mon 1999-09-27 (10:22), Andrew Reilly wrote:
> I've longed for a mechanism to keep the ports that I use as
> up-to-date as the rest of my FreeBSD system.  Unfortunately,
> some ports I don't use very often, and so forget that they're
> there.
>
> Unfortunately (again), the port name-version_number identifier
> isn't _quite_ unique enough to use as a key for tracking ports.
> For example: ssh and docbook have multiple versions for the same
> base name installed concurrently.
>
> What I'd like is a little weekly crontab script that runs after
> my weekly ports cvsup, and tells me which of the ports that I
> "subscribe to" has changed, so that I can think about rebuilding it.

I have patches to pkg_version that teach it to handle multiple
versions installed and in the ports INDEX, which works pretty well
in my use, albeit a bit slower than pkg_version.

They are at http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~nbm/pkg_version-patch

I've got a local patch at home that can take a list of packages
(like "pkg_version gtk docbook ssh") and checks only those packages
for changes - it does break current command-line interpretation -
usually pkg_version takes a path to the INDEX as its only argument,
my patches use a -f location option.

Plug in those patches Nik has, and you can have intelligent automatic
updating (although sometimes you'll clobber your configuration
files).

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner