Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:24:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Jeff Tolley <jeff@comnetcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quick question on passwd file.

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Jeff Tolley wrote:

> I hope this in the right place.
> We are currently in the process of migrating our webserver to a better
> machine. What is the best way to move the users from the old machine to the
> new machine? Is simply copying over the passwd and master.passwd file's
> enough? Obviously I'd have to check home directories and shells.
> Both machines are running FreeBSD. The old machine is running 2.2.6-RELEASE,
> the newer one is running 3.3-RELEASE.

Jeff,

You'll find some differences in the installation password and group files
though. Better to merge the old versions with the new on the old system
first. There were system usernames and UID/GID changes between 2.2.x and
3.x.

Copy over /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group and do a /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p
/etc/master.passwd to recreate /etc/passwd, /etc/spwd.db, and /etc/pwd.db
on the new machine.

Also make sure you're consistent with your use of either DES or MD5
encryption on the old and new machines. libdescrypt will work with MD5
encrypted passwords but not vice versa. Also check for .htaccess and
.htpasswd type files. Note the same dependency (DES/MD5) on .htpasswd
files as master.passwd.

Regards,
--jeff

Jeffrey A. Lynch		| JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
email: jeff@jorsm.com		| 7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
Voice: (219)322-2180		| 100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com	| Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com		| Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995