Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 09:29:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wwoods@cybcon.com
Subject:   Re: Partitioning

>  I have a question regarding setting up the /swap /var /usr and / file
>  systems. How would you set this up useing 2 1.2 gig drives?

I see that you got a couple good responses on how to partition your drive.
I would add to their suggestions that you split the swap equally across both
drives. this will balance the paging load across both drives.

being paranoid has save my butt a couple times...so I would also say
duplicate the root partition over the two drives (the root partition
is fairly small, and the small waste on the second drive is a huge piece
of mind. If you do make a second partition, be sure to routinely keep
a copy of the root information in the second root. in one of
/etc/daily.local, /etc/weekly.local, or /etc/monthly.local:

# copy the root partition to second drive
newfs /dev/rwd1s1a		# erase old root backup
mount /dev/rwd1s1a /mnt
cd /mnt
dump 0sf 999999 - /dev/rwd0s1a | restore rf -
rm /mnt/restoresym*
# uncomment the following awk script if you think you will need to boot
# this partition as wd1 instead of as wd0
#cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.orig
#awk 'BEGIN {OFS="	"}
#     $2 == "/" {print "/dev/wd1s1a",$2,$3,$4,$5,$6}
#     $2 != "/" {print $0}' < /etc/fstab.orig > /etc/fstab
sync				# told you I was paranoid
umount /mnt

-mark.