Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:18:03 -0400
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com
Subject:   __deregister_frame_info and egcs-1.1.2, revisited

I saw the exchange about the rtld fix to map unresolved weak references to
zero, so that one can link with the system cc against egcs-built shared
libs.

I've been having the undefined symbol lossage, too. But here's the twist:
I experience it when I compile *with* egcs against egcs-built shared libs.

I admit that I could update my rtld from 3.1-RELEASE, and silence rtld about
these symbols. But the obsessive-compulsive part of me is bothered that
things don't work even when linking with egcs.

As Fritz wrote, egcs' crt{end,begin,endS,beginS}.o reference the *_frame_info
functions, and there is text for them in egcs' libgcc.a.

I'm wondering if the elf ld needs a tweak, too--it appears that even when
egcs is used for the link, the linker fails to bring in the *_frame_info
code from libgcc.a.

Interested parties might cf. my note to ports, which includes a transcript of
the verbose egcs output for the failure case:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=irt&id=199904110709.DAA12115@dominator.eecs.harvard.edu

-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu