Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:30:58 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

"Crist J. Clark" writes:
> email.) A Chevron page
> (http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/bulletin/oxy-fuel/whwyoxy.html)
> seems to flat-out refute the idea that oxgyenates mess up the
> air-fuel mix,
>
>   Oxygenated gasoline also reduces carbon monoxide emissions. This is
>   how it works: Engines emit more carbon monoxide when they are fed
>   "rich" air/fuel mixtures -- mixtures containing more fuel than can be
>   completely "burned" by the oxygen (from the air) in the mixture. Rich
>   air/fuel mixtures are used during engine startup and warmup and at
>   full throttle (for rapid acceleration). Oxygenated gasoline requires
>   less oxygen (from the air) for complete burning than the same volume
>   of conventional gasoline. Adding oxygenate is like adding more
>   air. So, for the same carburetor or fuel injection setting, changing
>   an engine's fuel from conventional gasoline to oxygenated gasoline
>   produces a "less rich" air/fuel mixture and, therefore, one which
>   generates less carbon monoxide when it burns. The carbon monoxide
>   reduction obtained from oxygenated gasoline is much larger for older
>   cars than for newer, well-maintained cars.

"So, for the same carburetor or fuel injection setting..." tends to
forget the whole purpose of the O2 sensor is to adjust the mixture.
Therefore oxygenated fuel is going to affect what the O2 sensor says,
negating their entire argument and proving the mixture will run richer.

Their argument holds some water when applied to a lawnmower or other
engine without an O2 sensor.

If it all was so simple as, "Adding oxygenate is like adding more air"
then all we'd have to do is turbocharge our engines. Or run the mixture
leaner. But the lean mixture results in more oxides of nitrogen...

I've always wondered about the aftermarket potential for "recalibrated
O2 sensors". There should be a market if somebody could produce O2
sensors that ran lean or rich.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net