Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:32:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Streamlining FreeBSD Installations

As far as keeping them "up to date", this is what we do:

- Have a local cvsup-mirror server
- All FreeBSD workstations and servers cvsup (just ports) off of it
nightly.
- Our central build server (which doubles as an insanely overpowered SMP
dns server), builds -STABLE, and all kernels nightly

When we want to upgrade a machine to current, we just:

mount buildbox:/usr/src /usr/src
mount buiildbox:/usr/obj /usr/obj
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster
cd /usr/src/sys/compile/<mykernel>
make install
reboot

This process takes about 15 min on our 100M/s network. We don't do it too
often of course, because of the downtime involved, but.

As far as keeping the machines "identical", you may want to look into one
of the hacks i've seen where in a school lab they boot off a floppy which
dd's the hard drives off of an nfs share. I can't remember where I saw
this unfortunatly.

(not sure if this answers your question, but I hope it odes)