Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 18:57:07 -0700
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad position of prompt after login

--------
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if someone could help me understand the way the tcsh shell
> prompt is positioned.  I have a motd file that is about 15 lines long, and
> after it is printed, the cursor is placed on line 25.  Since I have a 32
> line display, this clobbers the motd.  Not so bad on a 25 line display, it
> just goes to the bottom, however, all other unix tcsh shells just move one
> line forward of the current position to place the prompt.

I've noticed a similar activity, and I think I've isolated it.

There is a line in the default .login that looks like this:

stty status '^T' crt -tostop

'crt' resets the terminal, according to the stty man page.  I commented this
out and logged in on a vty and it didn't move the prompt to the bottom of the
screen like it normally does.  Try removing the 'crt' part and see if that
gets you acceptabl results.

This is from a couple of minutes of experimenting.